Gender studies is an interdisciplinary field of study that examines gender as a social and cultural construct with respect to identity and representation. It encompasses various disciplines such as sociology, anthropology, psychology, history, literature, and political science, among others. It aims to challenge and question traditional notions of gender, while also seeking to understand and address issues such as gender inequality, gender-based violence, gender identity, and gender discrimination. Gender studies seeks to not only advance knowledge but also to promote social justice and equality by challenging gender norms, advocating for gender equality, and addressing discriminatory practices and oppression that individuals may face based on their gender identities.
- Women’s Writing
- Indian Feminist Thought
- Caste, Gender and Sexuality
- Introduction to gender studies
Open Source Materials
Research Guidance PhD
- Arya Aiyappan – Constructing Gender: Cultural Identity and the Politics of Representation in Contemporary Middle Cinema in Hindi
- Ms. Jaseedha K. – Jane Austen’s Fiction: A Feminist Perspective
- Uma S – (A)Sexual Poetics: An Enquiry into Indian Bhakti Cult
- Priya S. – Staging the Female: DeScribing the Devadasi
Research Guidance MPhil
- Shahina Rasheed – Dismantling the female psyche: A Study of Jaishree Misra’s Ancient Promises
- Pooja Rajendran – Gender Play in Elfriede Jelinck’s The Piano Teacher and Lust
- Litty Joseph – Vaslav Nijinsky: The Making of a Queer Icon
- “Women: Colonial Narratives and Postcolonial Images.” Indian Journal of Post-Colonial Literatures 1.1 (July 2000)
- “Women Development and the Feminisation of Poverty.” Kerala Sociologist XXIX.2 (Dec. 2001)
- “When we Dared to Publish: Experiences of an Editor.” Women’s Studies Narrative Travails and Triumphs edited by Rekha Pande. Delhi: The Women Press, 2016.
- “Courage Never to Submit or Yield: Short Stories by Women in India.” Re-defining Feminisms edited by Ranjana Harish and V Bharathi Harishankar. Rawat: Jaipur, 2008.
- “Feminism – Theory and Practice – Interview with Dr. G. S. Jayasree.” Pacchakkuthira 5.1